St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School opened its doors in September 1947, serving families of the Sacred Heart Cathedral. The school initially served 250 students. The Sisters of Divine Providence was the first teaching order at the school, and Monsignor John T. Gulczynski served as the founding pastor. St. Thomas Aquinas Church was erected in 1955, following several years of the community celebrating Mass in the school auditorium.
The parish and school growth led to the expansion of the school to two campuses in 2005. Following a successful capital campaign effort by the parish, the First Community Church building and property were purchased and converted to accommodate PK4-2nd grades. The Lower School, the Monsignor John T. Gulczynski Early Childhood Center, opened its doors in Fall 2005. In Fall 2011, the parish purchased an additional 2.68 acres to the south of the main property. The Home Field Advantage capital campaign raised a campaign goal of $3.0M to convert the property to multi-use outdoor space, including softball/baseball and football fields.
St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School is home to 891 students, grades PK3-8th grade. It is the largest Catholic PK-8th grade school in the state of Texas. In September 1996 and September 2012, the U.S. Department of Education recognized St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. In 2013, at the Bishop's request, St. Thomas Aquinas moved to a President/Principal administrative model due to its growth. St. Thomas Aquinas is accredited by the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.