National Junior Honor Society
Congratulations to the National Junior Honor Society members who were newly inducted this year as well as to the returning members. Membership criteria for the organization include scholarship, leadership, service and the highest moral character. The St. Thomas Aquinas Chapter of NJHS has served our community well through volunteerism, fundraising and mentoring since 2006.
National Junior Honor Society Requirements:
1. All NJHS members must read and follow all of the by-laws established for the Saint Thomas Aquinas Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society.
2. All NJHS members must maintain satisfactory conduct and effort grades. A NJHS member should demonstrate an outstanding record of conduct and effort with regard to school and community rules. This will be demonstrated by behavior and effort grades of an "S" with no negative comments on the report card or progress reports.
3. All NJHS members must demonstrate a positive attitude and exercise a positive influence on peers in upholding school ideals. This also requires students to maintain an acceptable attendance record.
4. All NJHS members must demonstrate the highest standards of honesty and reliability. Members must observe school instructions and expectations. This indicates that there should not be any violation of the school's behavioral expectations as listed in the school handbook or violations of the school's honor code.
5. All NJHS members must maintain the required cumulative average of at least a 94% while a member of NJHS.
6. NJHS members and officers will meet at least once every quarter. All NJHS members are expected to attend and to be on time for these meetings. Time and dates will be announced via email.
7. All NJHS members are responsible for completing and documenting all service hours.
a. Eighth (8th) grade members are required to complete forty (40) service hours throughout the course of the year. A minimum of ten (10) hours must be completed through participating in a NJHS sponsored activity. The hours used for confirmation can also be used to meet this requirement.
b. Seventh (7th) grade members are required to complete twenty (20) service hours throughout the course of the school year. A minimum of ten (10) hours must be completed through participating in a NJHS sponsored activity.
c. All hours are to be completed by the dates as determined at the beginning of the school year. If students are struggling to find service opportunities, they should seek the advice of the chapter adviser.
8. If all membership requirements outlined are not met, the NJHS member may be placed on probation or may be considered for dismissal from the organization.