STA on Campus
St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School is committed to safely reopening our campuses during the COVID-19 pandemic. The protection of our students, faculty, and staff remains the highest priority. We opened in phases beginning with Phase I last school year and continue to move to fewer restrictions in future phases. Please know that all policies and procedures listed below are subject to change based on CSO, TEA, CDC, and local health authorities' recommendations or mandates. We will notify parents of changes via email and the Week at a Glance.
St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School will follow TEA recommendations on four sets of practices that minimize the likelihood of viral spread.
• PROVIDE NOTICE: Requirements for parental and public notices.
- Provide detailed plan for On-Campus activities and instruction to parents.
• PREVENT: Required practices to prevent the virus from entering the school.
- Request that students, faculty and staff self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms before coming onto campus each day.
- Ensure parents do not send a child to school on campus if the child has COVID-19 symptoms, is lab-confirmed with COVID-19, or has been in close contact with an individual who is lab-confirmed with COVID-19. We will provide online daily student screening that must be completed each morning before dropping off at school.
- Screen all visitors to determine if the visitors have COVID-19 symptoms, are lab-confirmed with COVID-19, or have been in close contact with an individual who is lab-confirmed with COVID-19.
- Create an isolation area on both campuses in the event that anyone on campus becomes ill with symptoms associated with COVID-19.
• RESPOND: Required practices to respond to a lab-confirmed case in the school.
- Notify the local health department, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, including confidentiality requirements if an individual who has been in a school is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19,.
- Close off areas that are heavily used by the individual with the lab-confirmed case (student, teacher, or staff) until the non-porous surfaces in those areas can be disinfected.
- Notify all teachers, staff, and families of all students in a school if a lab-confirmed COVID-19 case is identified among students, teachers or staff who participate on any on campus activities. STA will follow notification requirements for other communicable diseases, and consistent with legal confidentiality requirements.
• MITIGATE: Recommended and required practices to reduce likely spread inside the school.
- Install hand sanitizer and/or hand washing stations with soap and water at each entrance and available to each classroom.
- Install improved air filtration systems in all buildings and air purifiers in each classroom.
- Train students on proper health and hygiene practices including hand washing and other mitigation practices including mask wearing.
- Clean and sanitize more frequently, including additional cleaning by janitorial staff, as well as provide the opportunity for children to clean their own spaces before and after they are used, in ways that are safe and developmentally appropriate.
- Planning for entry, exit, and transition procedures that reduce large group gatherings in close proximity.
PLEASE NOTE: The details on this page are subject to change as directives are provided by governing authorities and/or health officials or as environmental conditions change. Please check back for the latest accurate information.
Health Clinic and Covid Procedures & Protocols
The Health Clinic is open at both the Lower School and Upper School campuses from 8 AM until 3 PM on school days.
St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School will begin the school year wearing masks while indoors. We will adapt quickly and make you aware when circumstances or guidelines change. Be prepared to provide face coverings that are comfortable and safe for your child(ren) to wear.